This is the start of an inspiration patch, where I hope that fellow scrappers and creators will come and find some inspiration, or even leave some inspiration for me.

Friday 17 January 2014

First Day of School - Scrap Friends January Challenge

Hello Everyone

I am so pleased it's Friday and I can finally unwind from this hectic week! I am kinda freaking out a little bit though, as I was taking photo's earlier on and my camera's shutter seems to have jammed. My hubby is taking a look at it now and I hope that he can sort something out. Yikes...this is really not what I need right now!

In anycase, I had taken some photo's and so will share my page for the Scrap Friends January sketch challenge.


I sooooo loved this sketch and so really did not alter it very much at all.

Here is my take on it.


I did some watercolouring on my background and was quite happy with how it turned out. Just to share something with you, my page did buckle a little bit and so I really did think about how to straighten it out again. Now previously I had put it under books etc and it had straightened out somewhat, but not as much as I had hoped.  But last night I had a little flash of inspiration.  I dashed to the kitchen, and got my rolling pin out the draw and got a thick blanket from the room. I turned my page around and rolled it on the soft blanket. I can honestly tell you that it worked like a charm. There was hardly a ripple left. So perhaps give that a try next time.


It was Joe's first day of school on Wednesday and even though he is looking a little anxious in the photo, he was very excited and eager to go.  The reason he was anxious is because he wanted to leave and kept telling me "Mommy we are going to be late"!!! Needless to say we got there well in time for school and he had a really super first day.


I used the really cute Simple Stories Smarty Pants collection along with some chipboard frames.


Thanks so much for stopping by!
I hope you have a super Friday!
Denise x

14 comments:

  1. Very cute and funk fun, great work there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Best wishes for a happy new school year! This layout and photo are adorable. I'll definitely keep that ingenious rolling pin trick in mind--what a good idea. Hope that your camera will be okay!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A striking take on the sketch and an important milestone scrapped....I love the papers you've chosen with the blackboard script, apple and clock...the frames add lots of dimension and highlights your big boy, off on the next stage of his life...fave for me :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. He's eager to go and you're stopping him for a shoot, hihihi :-) Must have been a special big moment on his first day of school. Love the rolling pin idea, will keep it in mind, tfs your brilliant idea Denise. A beautiful page, love the artsy. Hugs...

    ReplyDelete
  5. fabulous page, love your take on the sketch, awesome , have a great weekend

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a stunning page Denise! It's great to hear he had a exciting and happy first day at school. Makes it easier for mom when the kids are happy.
    Have a lovely weekend. :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. A beautiful back to school layout. He looks so smart in his uniform, good mommy to get the photo first... I love the splashes and that wonderful washi tape... I am going to try the rolling pin thing because buckled pages bug me :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. absolutely LOVE this LO! awesome! and hope you will fix the camera...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love what you've done with this sketch! Looks fab!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just fabulous! He looks so smart! What a precious memory and a very special moment. Thank you for joining us at Scrap Friends!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your page is awesome. I love what you did with the ScrapFriends sketch. Love all the frames and the soft watercolour background.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is so much fun! Love the strip of cameras and all the papers you chose are perfect for the page topic...that is great idea about the rolling pin! Thanks for sharing and playing with us at Scrap Friends.

    ReplyDelete
  13. oh Joe looks so serious on this photo! :-))) such a great take on this sketch, Denise! very bright and a bit dramatic! :-))

    ReplyDelete